- – MDOT is investing $70 million in I-75 and Zilwaukee Bridge improvements.
- – Roadwork extends from Janes Road to the north junction of I-675.
- – Work includes replacing bearings on I-75’s Zilwaukee Bridge.
- – Bridge work on Janes and Wadsworth roads over I-75 was completed in 2013.
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will resume reconstructing 4 miles of I-75 on Saturday, April 12. This second year of construction will be on northbound lanes across I-75 and the Zilwaukee Bridge with work scheduled to occur simultaneously. The overall project investment is $70 million.
Improvements include reconstructing I-75 from Janes Road to the north junction of I-675, guardrail and storm drainage work, pavement restoration, and shoulder work on all Zilwaukee Bridge ramps. Bridge work on Janes and Wadsworth roads over I-75 was completed in 2013. Total investment: $33.3 million.
During the 2014 construction season, the Zilwaukee Bridge project includes replacing bearings, bridge deck overlay, barrier repairs, and electrical work on the northbound bridge. Work on the southbound bridge was completed during the 2013 construction season. Total investment: $36.7 million.
Work on the Zilwaukee Bridge includes:
– Replacing 32 expansion joint bearings (16 southbound bearings were replaced in 2013).
– Replacing 98 pier bearings (50 southbound bearings were replaced in 2013).
– Replacing eight abutment bearings (four were replaced in 2013).
– Repairing or replacing almost 10,000 feet of bridge barrier (the southbound half was completed in 2013).
– Repairing 3.2 percent of the total surface area of the bridge deck concrete overlay (the southbound half was completed in 2013).
– Applying a sealant to the bridge deck in both directions, including Ramp H (the southbound half was completed in 2013).
– Replacing all bearings on Ramp H.
I-75 traffic restrictions:
– April 12 – May 17:
– Northbound I-75 traffic will be detoured via I-675.
– Starting May 17:
– Northbound I-75 traffic:
– Wednesday – Saturday: maintained on I-75.
– Sunday – Tuesday: detoured using I-675.
– Southbound I-75 traffic:
– Wednesday – Saturday: detoured using I-675.
– Sunday – Tuesday: maintained on I-75.
For up-to-date information on this project and to sign up for e-mail updates, visit MDOT’s I-75 and Zilwaukee Bridge improvements project website at: www.michigan.gov/z-bridge. Business owners and community stakeholders can contact the Bay City Transportation Service Center at 989-671-1555 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overall, this project will maximize the service life of the bridge and improve the overall condition of this section of I-75.
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to Great Lakes Radio Stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, WQXO, and WPIQ