DETROIT – The President’s Budget for fiscal year 2015 (FY15) includes more than $4.561 billion in discretionary funding for the Civil Works program of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, USACE, (see release at: Corps of Engineers, HQ Website – www.usace.army.mil) with more than $71 million for Detroit District projects around the Great Lakes.
The Civil Works budget funds the operation and maintenance program, which includes the maintenance of federal shipping channels on the Great Lakes, maintenance of federal structures, and the operation and maintenance of the Soo locks. Incorporated in the budget is funding that will be used across the district’s jurisdiction in Indiana, Minnesota, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
“The Detroit District budget of $71 million reflects the Administration’s fiscal year 2015 annual Civil Works program and we are looking forward to working hard and fully executing this strategic investment in the development, management, restoration, and protection of the Nation’s water, wetlands, and related resources,” said Lt. Col. Robert Ells, district engineer, Detroit District. “Deliberate attention to the allocation of funds delivers the maximum benefits to commercial navigation, flood risk management, and aquatic ecosystem restoration.”
The FY15 funding will be distributed among the Detroit District major projects as follows:
- St Marys River/Soo Locks, Mich. Navigation/Hydropower /Recreation $39.8 million
- Detroit River, Mich. Navigation $5.9 million
- Duluth, Minn./Superior, Wis. Navigation/Recreation $5.6 million
- Saginaw River, Mich. Navigation $3.0 million
- Fox River, Wis. Flood Risk Management $2.9 million
- Green Bay Harbor, Wis. Navigation $2.8 million
- Milwaukee, Wis. Navigation $2.1 million
- Monroe Harbor, Mich. Navigation $1.0 million
A total of $16.7 million will be used for dredging projects including the following locations: Detroit River, Mich., Duluth-Superior Harbor, Minn. and Wis., Green Bay Harbor, Wis., Grand Haven Harbor, Mich., Milwaukee, Wis., Monroe Harbor, Mich., Saginaw River, Mich., St. Clair River, Mich. and St. Marys River, Mich.
Also, $3.7 million will be used to continue monitoring lake levels and water flow throughout the Great Lakes.
– more –
The FY15 Civil Works budget press book is available on the Corps headquarters Website at: http://www.usace.army.mil/Missions/CivilWorks/Budget.aspx, under the heading Program Budget: Press Books.
For more information go to the 2015 budget related link:
- Detroit District Website – www.lre.usace.army.mil
- Corps of Engineers, HQ Website – www.usace.army.mil
- White House Website – http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to Great Lakes Radio Stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, WQXO, and WPIQ