By webmaster@Levin.senate.gov Read more here: April 2014 Newsletter Bookmark It Hide...Read More
Month: April 2014
By webmaster@Levin.senate.gov Read more here: Levin floor statement on the need to raise the minimum wage Bookmark It Hide...Read More
By webmaster@Levin.senate.gov Read more here: Levin remarks at opening of Anne Frank traveling exhibition Bookmark It Hide...Read More
Senate Republicans today filibustered a vote to raise the minimum wage for millions of American families. U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow voted to move forward on the Minimum Wage Fairness Act, legislation she cosponsored that would increase the minimum wage to $10.10 per hour. While a majority of senators voted to move forward on the bill, Republicans refused to allow consideration of the bill, which would help lift millions of American families out of poverty. ‘Right now, many people working full-time jobs that pay the minimum wage are living below the poverty line,’ said Stabenow. ‘Raising the wage gives a fair shot to people who are trying to provide for their families. It is disappointing that some of my colleagues don’t understand what Henry Ford understood 100 years ago – that when you pay people decent wages, you create customers and you create a middle class. Our economy is not going to work if we have people working full-time jobs are still living in poverty and unable to provide for their families.’ The federal minimum wage has not been raised in five years. Currently, a full-time worker earning the minimum wage only earns around $15,000 a year – approximately $4,000 below the poverty level for a family of three. More than half of those working for the minimum wage are women, and the average minimum wage worker is 35 years...Read More
Thursday, May 1 at noon Calley will offer remarks and present a proclamation declaring May 1 as the Michigan Day of Prayer to the Michigan National Day of Prayer Task Force. Location: Michigan State Capitol 101 N. Capitol Ave. Lansing, MI Bookmark It Hide...Read More
Save With UP Bargains!
Subscribe to our Shopping Show
Like Us On Facebook
- Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention- Grant Applications Sought by Children’s Trust Fund
- Michigan’s Safe Delivery Law Helping Save the Lives of Newborns
- Long-time U.P. Gasoline Vendor Sentenced To Prison for Bankruptcy Fraud
- DEA Partners with State and Local Law To Take Back Unwanted Prescription Drugs – April 28
- Alumna’s Poetry Set to Music by Local Composer
- NMU Class Helps Paralympian Improve Performance
- Five Historic Preservation Projects Recognized with Esteemed Award
- P.S.A.- NMU is Closed Today!
- Peter White Public Library Children’s Department is Moving!
- East Entrance of Spring Street Parking Lot to be Closed